The Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation provides advice to the Australian Government on repatriation matters.
Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation
The Advisory Committee for Indigenous Repatriation (the Committee) is an all-Indigenous committee. The Minister for the Arts appoints members of the Committee to advise on policy and program issues related to the repatriation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ancestral remains (ancestors) and secret sacred objects (objects) held in Australian collecting institutions and ancestors and associated material held overseas.
Hear about repatriation
The Committee provides strategic advice to the Australian Government on issues directly affecting Indigenous repatriation, including:
- The Australian Government's Indigenous Repatriation Policy.
- The repatriation of ancestors and objects that have limited provenance and no identified community of origin.
- Repatriation matters that affect all or many communities (as each community advises on its own cultural protocols for ancestors and objects).
- Any other relevant matters.
The Committee also promotes awareness and understanding of the repatriation of ancestors and objects.
Committee members must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent. In addition, members must have:
- an understanding of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander culture and traditions
- experience in Indigenous repatriation and/or cultural heritage work.
Current Committee members are: