The Australian Government supports Australia's contemporary music industry.
The Australian Music Industry Package
On 30 March 2019 the Australian Government committed $27.5 million in new funding to support Australia's music industry. The Australian Music Industry Package is designed to bring more live music to Australian communities and ensure local artists can expand into lucrative international markets.
The Australian Music Industry Package will be delivered through the following measures:
- The Live Music Australia initiative will provide grant funding of $20 million over four years, from 2020–21, to enable Australian businesses to host more Australian live music events featuring home grown artists.
- The Women in Music Mentor program, will provide $2 million over four years from 2019–20, for mentorship programs and professional training.
- The Indigenous Contemporary Music program, will provide $2 million over four years from 2019–20, to establish a national development program for Indigenous musicians and bands.
- Additional funding of $2 million over four years from 2019–20, for the Contemporary Music Touring Program administered by the Australia Council, which funds Australian musicians to perform their own work on tour in Australia, with a priority on regional and remote locations.
- Funding of $1.5 million over four years from 2019-20 for Sounds Australia to enable the Australian music industry to capitalise on emerging markets, including in Asia.
The Department of Communications and the Arts is currently consulting with the Australian music industry regarding the implementation of the Australian Music Industry Package.
To get in contact with the Contemporary Music team, please email email@example.com.
Current music industry support and funding opportunities
The Australia Council for the Arts administers the Contemporary Music Touring Program which funds Australian musicians to perform their own work on tour in Australia, with a priority on regional and remote locations.
The Australasian Performing Right Association and Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (APRA AMCOS) offer a range of initiatives that support the Australian music industry.