The Australian Music Industry Package
On 30 March 2019 the Australian Government committed $27.5 million in new funding to support Australia's music industry. The Australian Music Industry Package is designed to bring more live music to Australian communities and ensure local artists can expand into lucrative international markets.
The Australian Music Industry Package will be delivered through the following measures:
- The Live Music Australia initiative will provide grant funding of $20 million over four years, from 2020–21, to enable Australian businesses to host more Australian live music events featuring home grown artists. Further details to be announced soon.
- The Women in Music Mentor program, will provide $2 million over four years from 2019–20, for mentorship programs and professional training. The Women in Music Mentor program is being delivered by the Australian Independent Record Labels Association (AIR).
- The Indigenous Contemporary Music program, will provide $2 million over four years from 2019–20, to establish a national development program for Indigenous musicians and bands. The first funding recipients under the Indigenous Contemporary Music program were announced on 8 July 2020.
- Additional funding of $2 million over four years from 2019–20, for the Contemporary Music Touring Program administered by the Australia Council, which funds Australian musicians to perform their own work on tour in Australia, with a priority on regional and remote locations.
- Funding of $1.5 million over four years from 2019–20 for Sounds Australia to enable the Australian music industry to capitalise on emerging markets, including in Asia.
To get in contact with the Contemporary Music team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current music industry support and funding opportunities
The Australia Council for the Arts administers the Contemporary Music Touring Program which funds Australian musicians to perform their own work on tour in Australia, with a priority on regional and remote locations.
The Australasian Performing Right Association and Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (APRA AMCOS) offers a range of initiatives that support the Australian music industry including the Sustainability Fund for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander music creators, open for applications from 3 July 2020 to 20 July 2020
The Australian Independent Record Labels Association (AIR) is delivering the Women in Music Mentor program. Applications for the first round of mentoring opportunities are open from 24 June to 31 July 2020.