You may need a permit to export fine or decorative art from Australia if it meets all of the following criteria:
- it is at least 30 years old
- the current Australian market value is at least the amount in the following table
- it is being exported by someone other than the person who created it, and
- it is an Australia-related object.
An Australia-related object is designed or made:
- in or outside Australia by an Australian, or
- in Australia by a foreign person who, at some time worked or lived in Australia, or
- outside Australia by a foreign person, if the object incorporates Australian motifs or subject matter, or is otherwise relevant to Australia.
|1||Watercolours, pastels, drawings, sketches and other similar works||$40,000|
|2||Aboriginal desert paintings (including pre-1974 Aboriginal Papunya paintings), other than paintings that are secret/sacred objects||$100,000|
|3||Aboriginal Kimberley paintings on canvas||$100,000|
|4||Oil and acrylic paintings not covered by item 1, 2 or 3 of this table||$350,000|
|5||Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander ochre paintings that are on bark, composition board, wood, cardboard, stone or other similar supports||$20,000|
|6||Prints, posters, photographs and similar works of art with potential for multiple production||$10,000|
|7||Textiles, including tapestries, carpets and batiks||$10,000|
|11||Clocks and watches||$40,000|
|13||Architectural fittings and decoration and interior decoration||$15,000|
|14||Objects made from precious metals||$25,000|
|15||Any objects of fine or decorative art that are not covered by another item of this table||$10,000|
Some fine and decorative art cannot be exported. This includes:
|1||Pre-1901 Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artworks||$25,000|
|2||Pre-1960 Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander bark paintings or sculptures not covered by item 1 of this table||$25,000|
These criteria are set out in Schedule 1 of the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Regulations 2018, which incorporates the National Cultural Heritage Control List.